[Tagging] RFC: place=neighbourhood

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Sep 2 08:30:26 BST 2011

On 09/01/2011 12:01 AM, Stephen Hope wrote:
> On 1 September 2011 11:41, Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> In the US, the problem is that address place names depend on which post
>> office serves the area, and there is no freely available accurate data
>> showing this. Many suburban areas outside Orlando city limits have Orlando
>> in the address, and there are some cases where a place in city A uses an
>> address that is not city A.
> That's interesting, and a bit weird to me.  Here, post offices open,
> close, move around, merge and split - and it makes no difference to my
> address.
I've lived to places in the USA where I could not be called to Jury
duty... because the Court sent notices based a naive address match, but
the property was actually in a different jurisdiction.

Note that the USPS recently lost a freedom of information act fight, and
was forced to share post box data.  Perhaps other data can be FOI'ed out
of them.