[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 23:26:44 BST 2011

2011/9/2 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>:
> On 9/2/2011 7:36 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>> +1, I also disagree. I see landuse=forest as the effective area
>> covered by trees. Hence I would subtract all other entities within.
>
> Disagree with this. landuse=forest should be the area that is used for
> forest purposes, which can include fertilizer storage sheds, access roads,
> etc.

what do you think about using natural=forest for this? We could use
natural strictly for geographical features (bay, beach, ...). There is
only very little values in natural that don't confirm to this idea.
The attribute maintained or not could be stored in another tag.
natural=wood could be for woodlands, forest for forests (including
fertilizer storage sheds, access roads and a lot more that is in the
forest area). This would also be the object to put the name for the
forest while the landuse would probably mostly not have names.

cheers,
Martin