[Tagging] water=*

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 01:44:37 BST 2011

2011/9/6 "Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" <xificurk at gmail.com>:
> as I've stated during voting, I don't think water=* is much of an
> improvement in tagging scheme of water bodies. I'm still curious - how
> do you tag natural lake that is used as a reservoir of water?

I'd go with landuse=reservoir, natural=water, water=lake
but http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dreservoir states
IMHO very unnecessarily that those have to be man_made.

> The
> existence of man-made or natural water body and its usage by man kind
> are simply two different things.

+1

 BTW, the same goes for forests - not every area covered by trees is used
> for forestry and not every area that is used for forestry is right now
> covered by trees (but probably will be in a couple of years).

+1, that's why I tag areas covered by trees additionally with
landcover=trees. There is also a page in the wiki about landcover (I'd
say it is still an early draft though).

cheers,
Martin