[Tagging] RFC: place=quarter, Parts of settlements, proposed hierarchy: suburb -> quarter -> neighbourhood

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 18:57:58 BST 2011

2011/9/27 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>:
> On 9/27/2011 12:40 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>> After more discussions on the German ML it looks as if one subdivision
>> for suburbs (the proposed neighbourhood) was not enough, so we
>> invented another level in the hierarchy of settlement parts. As the
>> name for these parts as well as the structure depends heavily on local
>> history, tradition and culture it is somehow impossible to find a term
>> which fits (by its linguistic definition) into all needs. The proposed
>> value is "quarter" for the "place"-key. Keep in mind that also the
>> value "suburb" can not (by its most common interpretation) be
>> interpreted with common sense (you wouldn't call the city centre a
>> "suburb" normally - at least not outside Australia).
>
> There's a problem here: you're assuming that neighborhoods (and so-called
> quarters) are well-defined.

no, I don't

> While sometimes they are, it's very common to
> have neighborhoods that overlap partially or fully. This means that there's
> no real hierarchy of neighborhoods.

well, I agree, but that's not a problem. I can also imagine
place-polygons for neighbourhoods overlapping each other, if this
would be the way the locals see it.

> For example, in New York City, there are five well-defined boroughs (which
> coincide with counties, a sub-state-level division). Presumably these would
> be your "quarters".

na, those would be the suburbs. Currently they are tagged as hamlets ;-)

> Manhattan, one of these boroughs, is roughly divided
> into Lower, Midtown, and Upper Manhattan.

yes, those would be quarters

> But Upper Manhattan itself has
> sub-neighborhoods including Harlem and Inwood, and those have their own
> divisions such as Spanish Harlem.

those would be neighbourhoods (Spanish Harlem).

You are suggesting that we are lacking another level, right? This
could be dealt with in different ways.

One solution might be to have
Manhattan as administrative boundary, place=island
Upper Manhattan as suburb
Harlem as quarter
Spanish Harlem as neighbourhood

but I don't think thats satisfying

Probably for NYC you might want 4 levels because 3 are not enough ;-)

There could indeed be a place=subdivision for those smallest entities.
Please tell me, I am not familiar with American urbanism.

cheers,
Martin