[Tagging] RFC: place=quarter, Parts of settlements, proposed hierarchy: suburb -> quarter -> neighbourhood

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 20:02:04 BST 2011

>> For example, in New York City, there are five well-defined boroughs (which
>> coincide with counties, a sub-state-level division). Presumably these would
>> be your "quarters".
>

> na, those would be the suburbs. Currently they are tagged as hamlets ;-)

There's no way anyone would call Manhattan a suburb.

> You are suggesting that we are lacking another level, right? This
> could be dealt with in different ways.

No, I'm suggesting that neighborhoods should not have levels. They are
simply amorphous blobs with no fixed hierarchy. Different organizations,
e.g. the city or realtors, may attempt to define a number of
neighborhoods that don't overlap, and hence are at the same level, but
these are bound to be arbitrarily chosen and don't always match what
residents will call their neighborhoods.

> There could indeed be a place=subdivision for those smallest entities.
> Please tell me, I am not familiar with American urbanism.

A subdivision is a piece of land for which a plat has been filed. A
neighborhood, even one of these small ones, may comprise numerous
subdivisions, or may be part of a single larger one.

In the suburbs, a neighborhood is generally a single subdivision (or
more properly several with similar names, e.g. Foo Phase I, Foo Phase
II, etc.). The term subdivision is typically used in the U.S. to refer
to these suburban residential subdivisions. Outside the suburbs it
rarely has any use except when dealing with official records, e.g.
property deeds.