[Tagging] RFC: place=quarter, Parts of settlements, proposed hierarchy: suburb -> quarter -> neighbourhood

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 00:15:15 BST 2011

2011/9/27 Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com>:
> Based on earlier discussions of place=suburb [1], I think it's good to start
> from an understanding that "suburb" as used in OSM does not match the common
> understanding of suburb in the US. [2]

+1, yes, place=suburb is not a "suburb". I also tried to write this in
the starting thread.

> That said, I don't yet see the need for quarter.  Both suburb and
> neighborhood are vaguely defined as it is, so I'm not sure how another
> vaguely defined term thrown into the mix helps.  Or, to ask a related
> question, why can't neighborhoods overlap and/or be contained within each
> other?

They can overlap and maybe also be contained one within another, but
if there is some entity which contains several neighbourhoods it could
get another tag even if this part would in some language/context be
called "neighbourhood" as well. It's not really about the words, it
could be level1, level2 and level3 as well. Upper Manhattan is not on
the same level as is Harlem, is it?

cheers,
Martin