[Tagging] RFC: place=quarter, Parts of settlements, proposed hierarchy: suburb -> quarter -> neighbourhood

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 20:21:17 BST 2011

Based on earlier discussions of place=suburb [1], I think it's good to start
from an understanding that "suburb" as used in OSM does not match the common
understanding of suburb in the US. [2]

That said, I don't yet see the need for quarter.  Both suburb and
neighborhood are vaguely defined as it is, so I'm not sure how another
vaguely defined term thrown into the mix helps.  Or, to ask a related
question, why can't neighborhoods overlap and/or be contained within each
other?

Brad

[1] ie
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2011-August/008438.html
<http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2011-August/008438.html>[2]
Kind
of drives me nuts, personally, but it's got tens of thousands of uses in
OSM, so it is what it is.