[Tagging] Wikifiddling, surface=cobblestone vs. sett & paving_stones

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:31:53 BST 2012

Clearly the change that was made was disruptive and changes the
meaning of the 80,000 or so surface=cobblestone tags already in
existence. I have thus changed the definition back and commented out
surface=sett for the moment.

Now, some issues with introducing sett:
1) No one knows what "sett" means.
2) The distinction is probably not important to most people.
3) There is far more sett than true cobblestone in the world.
4) We can't introduce a distinction by splitting an existing tag this
way. Clearly surface=cobblestone means "Cobblestone or sett". There
are too many instances to change that.

So, whoever really wants to introduce this distinction is going to
have to find another way, perhaps "surface=cobblestone,
cobblestone=sett".

Steve