[Tagging] sidewalks and tagging for the renderer

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 06:27:07 BST 2012

The problem with this, is many mappers are not even aware of what implicit
assumptions they are making, and hence won't map them. Saying that they
should map them won't help.

Do we need a database* of  explicit default settings for different areas,
to be used by renderers, routers and other tools as appropriate? Rules like
"In Germany, motorway implies foot=no if there is no foot tag on the way".
This could also help give sane guesses of defaults for roads that haven't
been tagged at all yet.

* either a separate database, or polygons inside OSM with tags, whatever.
That's not the point at the moment

Stephen