[Tagging] sidewalks and tagging for the renderer

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Apr 13 07:20:00 BST 2012

-10 for adding defaults as a hint for mappers!!!

Every application using OSM data has to make assumptions about data not
present in the database, sure, but reliable data has to be present in
the database, as a missing tag in general can be both: missing/unknown,
or "default", whatever "default" means.

If we would define a set of defaults and mappers follow that set, nobody
will add "default" values again, and it's not possible to distinguish
between default and unknown any more.

Yes, sure: Applications should have these default values, and probably
it is useful to define some kind of "common defaults" in a file that can
be used and parsed by applications, but this should not be part of the
osm mapping work, but part of the software development around OSM (not
in the osm core).

regards
Peter