[Tagging] [Talk-us] Smooth shoulder intended for cycling

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 06:17:23 BST 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It implies that the shoulder is an official cycleway, when in reality it may
> be full of debris (or worse: http://flbikelaw.org/2012/03/paved-shoulder/ ).

You think it implies that because it's a cycleway=* tag? I wouldn't
read too much into the tag itself - the meaning of the tag is whatever
the documentation for the tag says.

> Would you use a cycleway tag on any sidewalk that one can ride on (here that
> would be any outside city limits), or just those that have been specially
> designated as such?

I don't do any mapping in the US - it depends what your local
community decides. cycleway=sidewalk doesn't sound terrible to me.

We do have a situation here where sometimes footpaths (sidewalks) have
signs allowing cycling on them (the default is no). Usually we
actually trace out that section as a highway=cycleway. (We don't
distinguish it from any other bike path.) If it's more common than
that, you probably want a different solution.

Steve