[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:31:38 BST 2012

2012/4/19 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
>> * PSV lanes SHOULD be included (also [2]). Example: lanes=3 and
>> lanes:psv=1 means we have three lanes and one OF THEM is for PSV only.
> Don't forget other reserved lanes like taxi lanes...

Thanks - I won't.

>> * Parking lanes/spaces should NOT be included (see [4]).
> What about stop lanes for bus stations ? (usually a short distance
> extra lane used for loading/unloading passagers) ?

My feeling tells me, not to count them. They are in my opinion not
really traffic lanes, as they are intended only for stopping (maybe
similar to parking lanes).

>> * Turn lanes SHOULD be included (see [2] and [5]).
> Not sure if it is a good idea.

I can't see any reason, why they should be included. There were good
reasons in the linked discussion to add them.

>> * The lane count should change, as soon as a) new lane has reached its
>> full width or b) a lane starts to disappear (usually a merge with
>> another lane) (also [5]).
> And what about the space between e.g. lanes=2 and lanes=3 ?

I would suggest to continue with the previous lane count, until a new
lane count is valid. Values like lanes=2.5 are not "that" intuitive,
renderers could approximate the layout well enough and routers don't
really care about half lanes, as they couldn't use them anyway.

>>  - A one-way road has one lane
> excepted for motorways and trunk ?
>>  - Two-way roads have two lanes, one in each direction
> also for highway=track/service ?

After some additional thinking I notice that those assumptions are a
bad idea: they would be too much exceptions. This would mean, that the
assumptions currently present on the german page should be removed.

Martin