[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Apr 20 14:35:05 BST 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 09:09 +0200, Martin Vonwald wrote:
>  For motorways and trunks I would not add any assumptions, because they
> simply differ too much.
> Can we agree on that?

+1
Very much agree with you there. Trunks in particular can vary
enormously, from practically motorway standard roads to having to give
way to traffic coming in the opposite direction because they are not
wide enough for two vehicles to pass.

When I was a child, back in the 1960s I can remember trunk roads, in
Scotland, that were single lane with passing places, although I don't
think they exist anymore, but am prepared to be proven wrong.

Which prompts another question, do we have a tag for a 'passing place'?
There is a photo of one on this page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-track_road

Phil