[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 14:55:25 BST 2012

In my opinion, parked cars should not be considered.  Keep it simple!
The tag lanes should give you the number of lanes. The tag width gives
you the width. And if cars usually park on the road, we should use a
tag - maybe parking:lanes or similar - for that one.
What we not should do is put a completely different meaning into a tag
-> "Actually it is lanes=3  but I only tag lanes=1 because cars are
parking here".

Martin