[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Kytömaa Lauri lauri.kytomaa at aalto.fi
Mon Apr 23 15:28:24 BST 2012

If one does not consider parked cars _at all_, the first example
of my previous post (at the end) with a 9 meter wide
carriageway and no markings would have to be lanes=3, but
it's not a three lane road. Likewise, this oneway street
(5.9-6.0 meters wide) with cars always on one side would have
to be lanes=2, which seems wrong, don't you think?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Parkingonstreetdedicatedlanes1oneway.png

>In my opinion, parked cars should not be considered.  Keep it simple!
>The tag lanes should give you the number of lanes. The tag width gives
>you the width. And if cars usually park on the road, we should use a
>tag - maybe parking:lanes or similar - for that one.

We already do use parking:lane:right/both/left=*, a lot. :)

--
Alv