[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri Apr 27 19:14:05 BST 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Where did I mention a renderer? If you draw a closed polygon with
>>> railway=platform, that's a continuous platform with a hole in the middle.
>>> There may be a few cases of such in real life at a complicated junction.
>>
>> If so, they should be tagged with area=no.
>
> "area=no" can be considered a "sic!", but that tag should never have any
> actual effect.

Effect on what?  If I were writing a renderer, I would assume that a
closed way railway=platform represented an area unless it was tagged
area=no.  So that's an effect.

> If a feature can be either a closed way or an area, the default
> interpretation should always be the closed way. Otherwise, you'd have to
> know arbitrary defaults for each type of object.

A default set to the value which is correct 99.999999999999999999999%
of the time is not arbitrary.

Should defaults be documented somewhere?  Absolutely.  Should users of
the data ignore reality because someone wrote something somewhere in
the wiki?  Absolutely not.