[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 19:40:27 BST 2012

Am 27. April 2012 20:14 schrieb Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> A default set to the value which is correct 99.999999999999999999999%
> of the time is not arbitrary.

how would you distinguish between default values and incomplete
data/missing information?

We could have a tag

defaults_checked=area;surface;lanes;oneway;lit;width;...

to show which defaults have been checked, and maybe have different
default-schemes maintained by different people or for different
topics. We could define default sets in the wiki,
default_set_garry:version2=yes, with Versioning, so we can later amend
the defaults_sets without bothering...

But for simplicity when in doubt I'd set the tag explicitly.

According to your estimations every "default" that is tagged
explicitly is at least 0.000000000000000000001% better than not having
it. ;-)

cheers,
Martin