[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Komяpa me at komzpa.net
Sat Apr 28 13:17:49 BST 2012

> What specific program or programs are we looking at?

Any program that needs to go from OSM data model to OGC-compatible
one, having "area" object.
That basically lists any database backend (osm2pgsql, osm2sqlite,
nominatim...) and any converter like osm2shp/osm2ogr.
The list of software that depends on these is significantly lareger,
like nominatim, Mapnik, KothicJS, wikipedia integration project WIWOSM
and most data consumers.

> tourism=artwork.  That would require more research.

The only problem that it requires research. Every coder that wants
just to take OSM data has to do that research. Months of digging the
wiki, basically.

De facto list of always-area tags is present on
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/export/osm2pgsql/default.style

Anyone whining "software authors should have a better always-area
list" or "then software should be fixed" should make that better list.
Period.

--
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
OSM BY Team - http://openstreetmap.by/