[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Apr 28 13:36:07 BST 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Komяpa <me at komzpa.net> wrote:
>> What specific program or programs are we looking at?
>
> Any program that needs to go from OSM data model to OGC-compatible
> one, having "area" object.

Well, my question is what program or programs are you requesting
patches for.  Presumably these are programs which you are maintaining,
otherwise it's not your place to request patches for them.

I certainly don't feel like doing work making a patch which winds up
not being accepted.

>> tourism=artwork.  That would require more research.
>
> The only problem that it requires research. Every coder that wants
> just to take OSM data has to do that research. Months of digging the
> wiki, basically.
>
> De facto list of always-area tags is present on
> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/export/osm2pgsql/default.style
>
> Anyone whining "software authors should have a better always-area
> list" or "then software should be fixed" should make that better list.
> Period.

First we need to agree on what needs to be fixed.  Tobias says that no
renderers or other applications working on OSM data should ever
consider area=no.  So obviously I wouldn't want to work on a patch for
a program that he is maintaining, to fix it so that it considers
area=no.