[Tagging] OSMI layers in JOSM

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Sun Apr 29 13:34:22 BST 2012

* Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> [2012-04-25 10:28 +0200]:
> I'm trying to view the OSMI layers in JOSM. The all-knowing,
> all-seeing trash heap pointed me to this (german) article:
> http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=9315
>
> There it is recommended to use the following link in JOSM:
> http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/view/routing/wxs?REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=wms&VERSION=1.1.1&FORMAT=image/png&SRS=EPSG:4326&STYLES=&LAYERS=unconnected_minor1,unconnected_minor2,unconnected_minor5,unconnected_major1,unconnected_major2,unconnected_major5&
>
> This works like a charm, but with the limitations, that one has to
> adjust the resolution manually. Also I seem to be unable to get this
> layer transparent. In the article one wrote to add TRANSPARENT=TRUE to
> the link, but I can't get this working.

Not sure tagging@ is the best list for this, but...

Here's what I use for my OSM Inspector WTFE view:

    wms:http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/views/wtfe/wxs?FORMAT=image/png&transparent=true&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&Layers=wtfe_line_created,wtfe_line_modified,wtfe_line_created_cp,wtfe_point_created,wtfe_line_modified_cp,wtfe_point_modified,overview_low,overview&SRS={proj}&WIDTH={width}&HEIGHT={height}&BBOX={bbox}

In particular, my URL contains "/osmi/views/", while yous has
"/osmi/view/".  That might be a source of problems.

> Has anyone a hint for me how to get this layer transparent? Is there
> any possibility to autoadjust the resolution?

You can't automatically adjust the resolution, but you can right-click on
the layer in the "Layers" window and select "Change resolution".  What I
often do is work at two (or sometimes three) specific resolutions, set two
layers of the same WMS to the two different resolutions, and switch
between them with "Zoom to native resolution" from the same right-click
menu.

As the mapping resources I use become more available in either tiles or
AcGIS REST (which I can turn into tiles with tilestache), I've been
transitioning more to using tiled backgrounds, which do change resolutions
automatically (though there are still glitches there).

--- --
If there's nothing wrong with me, there must be something wrong with the
universe.
                       -- Beverly Crusher ("Star Trek")