[Tagging] RFC: Names localization

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 16:58:23 BST 2012

Johan Jönsson wrote:
> lang=<language_code> is supposed to tell what languages that are used in the
> tag name=<place_name>
>
> May I propose to use lang:name=<language_code> instead of lang=<language_code>
> (or is it name:lang=<language_code>)

I don't like name:lang simply because it conflicts with the established
scheme for tagging names in different languages, e.g. name:en="London".

> Then the key "lang:" could be used even if there happens to be more tags that
> need its language stated.

lang:name="en" might make sense, but do you have an example where this
would be useful?

> By the way, is it only meant as an internal OSM-thing or is it supposed to
> also be a mapping of official languages in the place (or official languages
> expected on road signs)?

Could you provide an example, where those two are different?
The proposal was primarily meant to fix the unclear meaning of bare name
tag, but it's still just the first draft.

Best regards,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk