[Tagging] Data redundancy with "ref" tag on ways vs relations

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 21:56:01 BST 2012

Peter Wendorff wrote:
> If you rise a flag for the consumers side and decrease the mapping
> useability with that, these mappers will go away - and afterwards most
> probably the data consumers will follow, because there's no (updated)
> data any more in a reasonable quality and quantity.

I did not say that perfect usability should be our holy grail, or that
we should do everything we can to make things easy for consumers. That's
the other extreme that's not healthy either.

I simply object to the claim that consumers are "totally unimportant".
If we can agree this is a wrong attitude, I would be happy ;-)

> I don't know any project that has not been build because of the complex
> or unuseable data model.

> Do you have examples for "amazing tools" that have been stopped in
> development due to the data model?

Are you seriously asking me the question that falls into the same
category as "When was the last time you saw an invisible dragon?" :-)

This will happen if we will call consumers "totally unimportant" and if
we will produce _unnecessarily_ hard to use data just because "we can"
and "they must deal with it".

Best regards,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk

PS: Although this is still in thread about ref tags, it was a simple
reaction to Frederik's statement about "totally unimportant" consumers
without any relation to the ref topic.