[Tagging] RFC: Names localization

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 23:31:40 BST 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Andrew Errington <erringtona at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 19:48:37 John Sturdy wrote:

> It's also not true that in a 'monolingual' country that there is only one name
> for something.  For example, London is 'London' to a British person,
> but 'Londres' to a French person.

This is what I was referring to in the second part of this sentence:

>> Multiple names are really an issue for
>> multilingual countries and for major features (typically large cities,
>> rivers, and perhaps mountains) in monolingual countries,

i.e. London may be "London" to an English person and "Londres" to a
French person, but Stourport-on-Severn is "Stourport-on-Severn" to
both of them (just picking a smallish town randomly; no potential slur
intended).  And a lot of names in OSM are street names; as far as I
know, it's rare for people from another country to have different
names for a country's streets.  (I thought I had found one example,
"Via Devana" as the Latin name for Huntingdon Road, Cambridge, but
when I searched to check that, I found it's 18th-century Latin and not
actually Roman.)

> I still think it's simple enough to have name=* to be the 'default' name you
> get if you don't specify a language, or the name you get if your selected
> language is not available.

Agreed.

__John