[Tagging] RFC: Names localization

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 09:29:26 BST 2012

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 07:31:40 John Sturdy wrote:
<snip>
> i.e. London may be "London" to an English person and "Londres" to a
> French person, but Stourport-on-Severn is "Stourport-on-Severn" to
> both of them (just picking a smallish town randomly; no potential slur
> intended).  And a lot of names in OSM are street names; as far as I
> know, it's rare for people from another country to have different
> names for a country's streets.

Absolutely, but the point is whatever mechanism we implement for name=* (and
name:xx=*) must work for anything that can be tagged with name=*.  If it's
not needed for something, then it is simply not used.

And actually... in Korea we do have different names for streets, one in Korean
(in Hangul) and one in English.

Best wishes,

Andrew