[Tagging] RFC: Names localization

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:24:02 BST 2012

Tobias Knerr wrote:
> On 02.08.2012 12:56, MilošKomarčević wrote:
>> name=* without any context of what language is recorded in it is one of the
>> biggest fallacies of OSM i18n and needs to be addressed.
>
> You need to realize, though, that mappers in areas where only one
> language is commonly used will not want to put more effort into mapping
> names than they do today. And rightly so, imo - from their perspective,
> it's just more work for little or no gain.

Yes, I agree. This is very strong argument for Option 1 and I'm starting
to lean towards this solution.
I won't touch to page for week or so, but unless someone comes with a
strong counter-arguments (or completely different better proposal), I
think we should refine the option 1 and build on top of this basic idea.

Best regards,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk