[Tagging] RFC: Names localization

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Aug 2 13:07:21 BST 2012

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" wrote:
> Tobias Knerr wrote:
>> You need to realize, though, that mappers in areas where only one
>> language is commonly used will not want to put more effort into mapping
>> names than they do today. And rightly so, imo - from their perspective,
>> it's just more work for little or no gain.
>
> Yes, I agree. This is very strong argument for Option 1 and I'm starting
> to lean towards this solution.

Have you considered combining the options?

For example you could use option 2 with a single additional rule: If
lang contains only one language code, treat name as name:<lang_value>.

So if there is only one main language, lang will contain the code for
that language, and name will contain the name in that language.

But in multilingual areas, lang contains the codes for all these
languages as per option 2, and once mappers in those areas trust data
consumers to construct the labels from several name:xx reliably, they
can begin omitting the bare name tag.

Tobias