[Tagging] Ferry routes, what's the correct approach?

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Aug 3 20:36:31 BST 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ferries are a bit like motorways with tolls, but I don't know what is used
> on motorways around the world. Fee=yes?

Washington State has the largest ferry system in the US. Check out
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/ for details.  Some routes have fees and
some do not.  It partly depends on the direction and if you are bring a
motor vehicle on board. For example you can walk on without a fee if your
destination is to the east, but if you drive your vehicle a fee is charged.
Bicycles are free going east bound.  If however, you are headed west bound,
there is a fee for vehicles, people, and bikes. It gets even more
complicated if you are in the San Juan Islands going from island to island.

A simple fee=yes/no doesn't work.  I would be inclined to omit the tag
rather than trying to tag the various combinations.  Maybe a fare tag
pointing to a web site would be better.

--
Clifford