[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 35, Issue 23

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Aug 10 13:46:11 BST 2012

Hi,

On 08/10/2012 02:32 PM, St Niklaas wrote:

> C1 has sometimes a secondary sign (permissive with dispensation)
> (Anlieger Frei or aanwonenden toegestaan or local traffic allowed), if
> you live there or travel to a specific adress your allowed to go, tag
> permissive (with permission but OSM uses permissive in a different or
> strange manor)

What you talk about would be called access=destination.

> Theres a type of truck mentioned to be HVG but in the European area its
> been discussed and changed into LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) for goods
> transport but no sign of ELVs (Extra Long Vehicles) 16-19 m ? Or
> even specific Australian Road Trains ?
> If the TAG protocol has to be rebuild, it should be taken into
> consideration.

I think you, just like many others in this long discussion, suffer from
the misconception that we somehow need to devise a restriction tag
architecture that is able to model every conceivable restriction, or
combination thereof.

But we have such a system already, it's called tags, and you can have as
many as you want ;)

Many suggestions in this thread have been made from a programmer
viewpoint. From a programmer viewpoint, in a perfect world where every
software correctly parses these tags, I could take every

maxspeed=60

and change it to

maxspeed:(0h-24h):(weight<100000tons)=60

and it would not make a difference, right? But in practice, this would
likely make the maxspeed information unavailable to the majority of
users who are stuck with clients not having a perfect restriction parser
(and even those that have would probably irritate the user with some
kind of asterisk that says "addidional restrictions apply click here for
details" or so).

Yes, this is a hypothetical example but I hope it drives home the point
that for the overwhelming number of users, a complex grammar for a
restriction tag is likely *less* useful than "note: lower speed limit at
night" or so - even if the programmer wets his pants about the sheer
beauty and flexibility of the tag he has just defined.

Bye
Frederik