[Tagging] Extended tagging schema - my thoughts

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 17:00:16 BST 2012

Thanks both,

I will look into options for better maintaining compatibility. One possible
solution would be to prefix extended tag keys with "e:" for a transitional
period. I'm not a big fan of this as it is messy. The problem is sometimes
you just have to make big changes even if this breaks compatibility. The
better OSM data users will take steps to adapt their software. Cruel but
things do change.

I decided to throw some ides out there after the earlier proposal failed to
gain approval in its first vote. I think it is key to get this sorted out -
only just the other day it was confirmed on the osmf mailing list that the
auto industry has asked how OSM plans to "close the gap" between OSM and
commercial navigation mapping.

Regards,
Rob