[Tagging] Extended tagging schema - my thoughts

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 18:13:37 BST 2012

 -- Tobias wrote: ------------------------------

Have you seen the "Conditional restrictions" proposal that was linked
here yesterday?

http://wiki.osm.org/Proposed_features/Conditional_restrictions

It is basically the same idea. The most important difference is that it
uses a ":conditional" suffix. This makes it backwards compatible, unlike
your solution which would put things like "120; wet 80" into the
established maxspeed tag.

>  * maxspeed=120
>  * maxspeed:hgv=80

These would look the same with "Conditional restrictions".

>  * maxspeed=120; wet 80

This would become
maxspeed = 120
maxspeed:conditional = 80:wet

Thanks Tobias,

I had skim read it but must have missed the point as it is almost exactly
what I ended up with!! Credit to Ole and apologies - I really need to slow
down and read things properly.

Ole,

I wrote up my proposal [1] and it turned out almost exactly the same as
yours (if you include my point 2 in the "But Wait..." section). Feel free
to take any ideas you want. For example my syntax uses a whitespace to
separate condition from value, so "(Mo-Fr 07:00-17:00)" in your proposal
becomes a combined condition of "Mo-Fr&07:00-17:00" in mine.

One of the things I struggled with was the maxwight / length conditions. So
where you suggest "motor_vehicle:conditional=no:(10:00-18:00 AND
length>5)", I would have used "maxlength:motor_vehicle:e=unset; 10:00-18:00
5" - meaning no restriction is set except when between 10am and 6pm, in
which case a maxlength of 5m applies. I went for this as it didn't require
the > character.

As noted, feel free to take any parts of my proposal, or drop me an email
if you would like to discuss anything. For now my proposal is on hold, and
my support with you.

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Advanced_access_tags