[Tagging] Advice & clarification of the railway tracks=* tag required.

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 16:31:59 BST 2012

2012/8/11 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com>:
> I've added track_detail=yes in places where there are tracks>1 tags but the
> lines are separately drawn. I've included some that have been there for a
> while.
>
> I've contacted the only people who I'm aware that use the tracks data
> (itoworld) to see if deleting the tracks tags (or setting them all to
> tracks=1) causes them any stress, and whether they prefer it one way or the
> other.
>
> Deleting a lot of tracks tags (or setting them all to 1) involves removing
> data that some people may be using, so I'm not proposing to do that yet.

I'd propose to set tracks to "1" in cases where a osm way represents a
single track, and to the number of tracks in the other cases. Adding
an additional "track_detail=yes" without modifying the tracks value
doesn't sound like a good idea. How could this be evaluated to see the
actual number of tracks (you won't be able to see which tracks belong
together e.g. in situations where several routes share the same place
for a short time)?

cheers,
Martin