[Tagging] Advice & clarification of the railway tracks=* tag required.

David Fisher djfisher81 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:39:57 BST 2012

As a relative OSM rookie, I find this an interesting discussion.  Here's my
2p:

-- the "tracks" tag was/is clearly intented to denote that multiple
parallel tracks are represented by a single way (cf Wiki)

-- as Richard Mann correctly points out, we are rapidly (in UK anyway)
moving towards having all tracks individually mapped, making the "tracks"
tag redundant in the long-term (except maybe for consistency/error checking)

-- as RM also correctly points out, knowledge of the total number of
running tracks on a stretch of railway is useful for operational reasons,
as shown in the ITO map... IMO this is *not* tagging for the renderer, but
genuinely useful data for potential OSM clients

-- BUT as Dave F suggests, it is probably not prudent to re-use an existing
tag for a new purpose, as this creates confusion and inconsistency

-- therefore RM's suggestion to create a new tag (such as passenger_lines)
is a good one and should be encouraged.

Cheers,

Another Dave F (user Pgd81)