[Tagging] Advice & clarification of the railway tracks=* tag required.

David ``Smith'' vidthekid at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 11:31:19 BST 2012

Here's how I'd address the concerns in this thread:

tracks=*: number of tracks represented by the way having the tag, as per
wiki
total_tracks=*: number of tracks in the right-of-way of the rail line,
regardless of how many parallel ways exist.  This sounds more like a tag
appropriate for a rail route relation, except this value can be different
for different segments of the line, so its use on ways is appropriate.

Similar tags may exist to count how many tracks are used for a particular
type of service (passenger / freight, passing / local, etc) on per-way and
total basis.

Where two "distinct" rail lines run adjacent for some distance, the
total_tracks tag can treat it as two groups of tracks or a single group of
tracks, at mapper's discretion — but I would advocate for the two groups
treatment unless all the tracks actually are used as a single many-track
rail line (local knowledge required).