[Tagging] Why is this user editing in this manner?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Thu Aug 16 01:53:21 BST 2012

Hi

I created a multi-polygon (1754193) with an outer, & a couple of inners
to represent a riverbank with an island (there are other members, but
not relevant to this enquiry).

To the West of this is a closed way to represent the continuation of the
riverbank. This is contiguous with the multi-polygon where they shared a
couple of nodes so there were two way segments on top of each other.

The latest editor has split both the closed way & outer polygon, deleted
one of the overlapping ways & added the remaining way to both the outer
way & a newly created multi-polygon (2338583) as a substitute for the
closed way.

Why has the editor done this? Is there a new preferred reason for doing
this? To me it seems a pointless exercise that adds nothing but makes it
more confusing for any future editor, especially putting a previously
closed way into a multi-polygon.

He's done this on numerous occasions around the South of the UK. He
seems to think that overlapping ways is bad but his edits appear a bit
random - notice he doesn't do a similar edit to the East of the
multi-polygon.

Cheers
Dave F,