[Tagging] Why is this user editing in this manner?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Thu Aug 16 12:03:56 BST 2012

On 16/08/2012 07:58, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/16/12 06:16, Jais Pedersen wrote:
>> Looking at his other recent edits, it looks like he is systematically
>> going through and fixing the issues in OSM Inspectors Multipolygon view:
>> http://goo.gl/aWpXQ - It still shows the error as i write this, but the
>> view might have been updated with his edits by the time you click the
>> link.
>
> OSMI checks things object by object and therefore would not even be
> able to detect a problem that arises from two totally seperate objects.
>
> The Inspector is sometimes less than clear about what its problem is,
> exactly, and you often have to take a closer look. The Inspector is
> nearly always right in detecting "something fishy" but it is not
> always immediately clear *what* the fishy thing is. In this specific
> case, I believe the error persists in the current version of the
> relation:
>
>   <relation id="1754193" visible="true"
> timestamp="2012-08-15T18:44:57Z" user="mentor" uid="38588"
> version="14" changeset="12742505">
>     <member type="way" ref="173633663" role="outer"/>
>     <member type="way" ref="125820705" role="outer"/>
>     <member type="way" ref="125820705" role="outer"/>
>
> Way 125820705 is there twice, making it impossible to build a proper
> outer ring out of all the "outer" ways.

OK, so what appears to have happened is he's used OSMI to check for MP
errors, but misinterpreted the results it's thrown up. He seems to think
the red crosses indicate intersection errors with the adjacent polygon
whereas they're within the MP.

His edits to fix the problem appear a bit overkill so I'll try & make
contact to save him some time.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Dave F.