[Tagging] Why is this user editing in this manner?

Masi Master masi-master at gmx.de
Thu Aug 16 21:52:58 BST 2012

Am 16.08.2012, 02:53 Uhr, schrieb Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com>:

> The latest editor has split both the closed way & outer polygon, deleted
> one of the overlapping ways & added the remaining way to both the outer
> way & a newly created multi-polygon (2338583) as a substitute for the
> closed way.
>
> Why has the editor done this? Is there a new preferred reason for doing
> this? To me it seems a pointless exercise that adds nothing but makes it
> more confusing for any future editor, especially putting a previously
> closed way into a multi-polygon.

I see your problem is solved. But not your question "Is there a new
preferred reason for doing this?"
First, both ways of mapping is correct (closed way & some non-closed ways
that forming an outer multipolygon)!
But you are not alone with your opinion, that "spliting" is too overkill.
In german forum most of the user are against splitting (>82%; against:
about 23 + 3x0.5  pro: about 5), but they are to shy or have no wiki
accound/no mailinglist to speak out their opinion.
The greatest reason against is, that editing, especially for new user, is
much to difficult.

There are some parts, where splitting is useful: for borders and verry
large areas e.g. huge lakes. (for what the splitting have been introduced
in past, because of the 2000 nodes limit.)