[Tagging] Carriageway divider

Markus Lindholm markus.lindholm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 15:21:38 BST 2012

On 20 August 2012 14:06, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 08/20/2012 12:57 PM, Markus Lindholm wrote:
>>>
>>> This doesn't correspond to reality: I believe that an emergency
>>> vehicle can cross a solid line, while of course they would
>>> have problems with a physically separated road.
>>

>> I consider legal restrictions to be part of reality.
>

> Yes, but we must make a difference between "must not pass" and "cannot
> pass".
>
> It has already been pointed out that the legal restrictions may not be the
> same for everyone (emergency services etc.), but even the common motorist or
> cyclist might choose to ignore legal restrictions - either for banal reason
> or perhaps because they have an emergency as well - and therefore it is
> important to distinguish between the physical and the legal side.

As I said earlier physical separation doesn't necessary mean "cannot
pass", because physical obstacles come in all kind of different shape
and form. Where I live there are plenty of cases of physical
separation that any ordinary SUV could easily cross. And then there's
the kind that would require a tank.

I think that it would be a more pressing objective to be able to
provide a legal route from A to B than to cater for all the shortcuts
that are possible but not legal. Of course the former doesn't exclude
the latter and one could conceive of new schemes to indicate where
it's possible to drive but not legal.

/Markus