[Tagging] Carriageway divider

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 08:47:27 BST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> So I think that mapping divider based on pattern type is a better choice
> than mapping them based on their legal effects.

Until now in OSM tagging, all turning restrictions have been described
by the restriction, not by the traffic sign  itself like "arrow_up" or
"arrow_left_crossed-out". Your argument about "unambiguous if you know
the law locally" is true in both translations. Excepted that with
"solid_line", you ask the applications to know all local laws arround
the world. With the value "no_u_turn", applications or other
contributors around the world understand immediately what it means.
Your second argument about multiple tags is correct but the list of
line patterns on the ground can be very long as well (double solid
line, dotted lines on one side, colours, etc).

Pieren