[Tagging] Carriageway divider

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 00:25:57 BST 2012

2012/8/20 Markus Lindholm <markus.lindholm at gmail.com>:
> I've been mostly mapping in large cities, hardly anything in the
> countryside. So I can only say that I've found it purposeful in the
> city to map with two highways when legally separated.

"purposeful" in this case translates to "mapping for the router" *1 in
OSM-speak. There is a convention in OSM that two highways represent
two carriageways, so when a single carriageway with a legal divider is
mapped like this, it is simply "wrong" according to our conventions.
This has nothing to do with the context (large city vs. countryside).

cheers,
Martin

*1 see this for the similar case of tagging for the renderer:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_for_the_renderer