[Tagging] Ford = depreciated?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sat Aug 25 14:23:29 BST 2012

Philip Barnes wrote:
> Have just spotted this changeset whilst looking through changes near me?
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/12837424
>
> Why has Ford been depreciated? It is the correct definition, and the
> word used on road signs.

I can see the point of changing "highway=ford" on ways to "highway=blah,
ford=yes", but that requires someone to get out from behind their
computer and find out what "blah" should be.

I don't see any particular reason to actively change a "highway=ford"
node to "ford=yes" - it just looks like meaningless tagfiddling.

There are some knock-on issues of removing data like this - maps that
people use will look different.  As an example, the osm.org "standard"
map renders "highway=ford" on nodes but not "ford=yes". There's a trac
ticket <https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2944> logged for it, but
the code to incorporate "ford" into the rendering DB doesn't write itself.

Perhaps people could be persuaded from removing "deprecated" tags until
they've provided patches for commonly used renderers?

I suspect that what happened in this case is that the JOSM validator
flagged it, (as I understand it it reads this wiki page
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features>), so I suspect
that the problem is a combination of:

1) The person* who wrote the "key:ford
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ford>" page saying "should be
deprecated" without thinking it through.
2) The key to be added to "Deprecated Features
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features>" without
thought as to whether it applies to nodes or ways.
3) Finally, the mapper blindly following JOSM's validator without thinking.

Cheers,
Andy

* Said person also screwed up the mapping of a long ford near me dispite
this message
<http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-November/054610.html>.