[Tagging] Ford = depreciated?

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 13:51:27 BST 2012

> Why has Ford been depreciated? It is the correct definition, and the
> word used on road signs.

> A google search revealed this wiki page
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:ford

> Why has it not been discussed in this mailing list where it will be seen
> by someone who is not searching the wiki for Fords today.

I missed the discussion, because it wasn't on the mailing list (I
think it would have been a good idea to raise it on the list, though).

Having had a look at the page, I think it's reasonable.  The
deprecation is on "highway=ford", in favour of adding "ford=yes" to a
something which already has "highway=<whatever>", so the highway keeps
its existing type.

As covered in the page, it works just like adding "bridge=yes" or
"tunnel=yes" to a stretch of road.

__John