[Tagging] Potale

Michael Krämer ohrosm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 07:30:28 BST 2012

Hello,

2012/8/28 André Pirard <A_Pirard at hotmail.com>

> **
> On 2012-08-26 11:41,  Martin Koppenhoefer wrote :
>
> 2012/8/26 Michael Krämer <ohrosm at gmail.com> <ohrosm at gmail.com>:
>
> How about historic=wayside_shrine? Unfortunately my French is rather
> limited
> so I basically could only look at the pictures in the Wikipedia. But this
> looked quite a bit like these "wayside shrines".
>

> http://translate.google.be/translate?u=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potale&langpair=auto|en
>
> More generally, visit this page<http://translate.google.com/translate_buttons>and follow the instructions to translate any page or text selection.
> And, great, it follows links!!!

Sure, but the automatic translation only gives you the rough content but
mostly misses the finer details.

> Everyone agreeing with my link to Wikipedia's *potale* in the OSM
> definition of wayside_shrine?

Well, given the description I would rather link  to
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildstock or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayside_shrine instead. In fact most
surprisingly there's also http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildstock.

So after some more digging into the finer details I think "wayside shrine"
is probably not exactly the same as "potale" - at least not in German: A
wayside shrine is something more or less standing freely [1] while a potale
could also be a niche in another building. But having said so, I find would
find it perfectly reasonable to use historic=wayside_shrine for both. If
this is accepted I just would want to expand the description in the wiki
accordingly to cover both.

Michael

----

[1]