[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - man_made=kiln

Richard Smith rich at haveyougotanypets.com
Thu Aug 30 14:19:59 BST 2012

Hi Martin

This is a good point. Originally I did consider the key "output" instead (although product does seem much more appropriate than output - which is mainly used on OSM as electrical output). In the end I
chose to use kiln for the following reasons:

1. I couldn't find anything documented on the wiki for output (product) although maybe I should have checked taginfo.
2. On the "type" wiki page ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:type ) which is essentially what I really wanted to use it recommended using one of the following schemas:
2.1 <key>=<some_value> + <some_value>:type=*
2.2 <key>=<some_value> + <some_value>=*
I personal prefer 2.2 out of these. In this case man_made=kiln, kiln=charcoal
3. Using the term product does not fit as well with tagging the kilm for a general purpose such as drying or smelting.  However you could split this into two having the tag "product" for the output
and maybe another tag such as process as for the actual process that is taking place e.g. process=drying, process=smelting, process=conversion. Maybe having process is a bit over the top anyway and i
imagine most kilns are built and used for just one product.
4. I thought having a specific tag of kiln=* might pickup cases where people did not use is ancestor of man_made=kiln.

These are my initial thoughts I will have a longer think as the product idea is growing on me.

Kind Regards,
Richard Smith