[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - man_made=kiln

Richard Smith rich at haveyougotanypets.com
Thu Aug 30 14:36:21 BST 2012

I would argue that oven on OSM is being used to describe a heating or cooking device of food as almost all key values are wood_fired.

Kilns on the other hand are more generally used for converting one type of input to another. While an oven used for baking bread fits this description, an oven for smelting iron ore or producing
charcoal does not fit quite as well. I would generally regard an oven to be a subset of smaller kilns used for baking food. (define:oven in Google does).

I can see the merit in how they are similar but as oven has not been defined or even proposed as a feature on the wiki would it not be best to define the more correct feature the first time round?

Kind Regards,
Richard Smith