[Tagging] Catchment Areas

Christopher Baines cbaines8 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 09:08:07 GMT 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 08:46 +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/01/12 15:05, Chris Baines wrote:
> > As part of the Random Hacks of Kindness (RHoK) event, myself and a
> > friend have been working on the Granular Health Map problem [1]. We have
> > started trying to tackle the catchment area problem, and have created a
> > proposal [2]. We both have some experience mapping in OSM, but not any
> > about proposals, so please let us know if we can improve it.
>
> I don't think that catchment areas are suitable for OSM because they are
> not observable on the ground.

Lots of things in OSM are not observable on the ground, take the
boundary relation for example [1].

> Also, the thought of having one area relation for each pizza delivery
> place in a medium-sized city makes my hair stand on end. Streets in that
> city would all become members of 10 or more relations, which would be
> broken 90% of the time.

Firstly, since subjects can share a boundary relation, you could have
only one relation for each pizza delivery place in a medium-sized city
(given that they all have the same catchment area).

Secondly, I don't think the breakage problem is specific to this
proposal, its a issue with the way relations work, and improving the
relation situation is far outside the scope of this proposal.

1: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:boundary