[Tagging] Status of maxspeed:wet

Martin Vonwald (Imagic) imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 20:11:17 GMT 2012

Hi!

Am 03.12.2012 um 20:27 schrieb Ole Nielsen <on-osm at xs4all.nl>:

> I intentionally chose not to deprecate maxspeed:wet as I had the feeling that doing so might upset some people and I didn't want such minor issues to affect the voting process. Of course I will recommend to use the conditional scheme and hope we can make a recommendation to deprecate the maxspeed:wet tag if there is no strong opposition to do so.

The reason why I asked was: will someone complain if I change maxspeed:wet to maxspeed:conditional when I encounter it? I don't think so but better safe than sorry and therefore I asked ;-)

> BTW, I'm not sure how useful the wet tag (old style or new style) is. You will need some damn precise and detailed weather forecasts for a route planner to be able to use such information. And usually it is only fairly short sections of highway having such tags so the impact is minimal (and in my experience drivers pretty much ignore such signs anyway).

I guess the best answer to this is: 640 kB ought to be enough for anybody. ;-)

I completely agree with you, but who knows what some clever people invent tomorrow. As I already have the information about those signs it doesn't hurt to put it into the database.

Martin