[Tagging] Fwd: Door to door routing to buildings with multiple occupants

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Tue Dec 4 04:49:45 GMT 2012

> 2012/12/2 Kytömaa Lauri<lauri.kytomaa at aalto.fi>:
>> Just a reminder that in many countries buildings can have several addresses, each address on different streets; none of the addresses is a "primary" address, and all staircases of said building are referenced just with a letter after any of the possible street addresses. The numbers can be on a separate lamp on each wall, away from any entrances. Which means that the house numbers really have to go as separate nodes inside the building, and each entrance only has the ref=letter on them.
>
> OK for multiple addresses and housenumbers for the same building, you
> have this almost everywhere, but do you have cases where the same
> appartment has multiple addresses?

These are abundant. I know because I worked as a postman for some months.
Many people get mail addressed with either address.

I live in a block with 5 addresses, one for each adjacent street (with a
house number plate for each) and one with a street not adjacent to the block
(no plate, but this is the primary postal address).

> As a general note I'd regard addresses on nodes preliminary, usually
> it is a polygon that has an address. Whether or not the mapper can get
> the information which is the polygon for a certain address is a
> different issue (and here nodes are serving us sufficently well for
> the moment).

There are plenty of problems with those nodes even now. E.g. there is no
connection between separate address nodes and real objects, so you cannot
search for a doctor at address X.

Adress nodes also cause a lot of headache when buildings are realigned to
better arial images. The address nodes should be realigned as well, but
usually they aren't.

The only use of separate address nodes by now is that they make Mapnik
display a house number. But speaking of Mapnik... if there are 5 POIs in a
house, and Mapnik has no signature for those POIs, it displays the house
number for each POI instead, resulting in 5x the same number. That makes
addresses on nodes problematic for Mapnik too.