[Tagging] How to solve the problem with relation overload?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 11:37:47 GMT 2012

2012/12/4 Jo <winfixit at gmail.com>:
> 2012/12/4 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com>
>>
>> Martin's problem would be solved if the extra-long relation is broken up
>> into segments. Which you are just as free to do as splitting a way in two.
>> Keep the relation tags on each segment, just like you'd do if you split a
>> way.
>>
>> (This is rather different to Jo's proposal, which involves shifting tags
>> onto a parent relation)
>
> A bus line goes from a starting point to a terminus. It would seem strange
> to me to split such relation at arbitary places in the middle in order to
> avoid conflicts when editing.

it won't be arbitrary locations but you would have segments of routes
which are part several route relations. Think of a simple bus route,
usually you will have 3 relations (one forward, one backward, one to
combine the two), now you would have relations of short pieces as
members of the forward and backward relations where they represent
segments of roads that are used by several route relations.

cheers,
Martin