[Tagging] Fwd: Door to door routing to buildings with multiple occupants

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Dec 5 00:19:05 GMT 2012

> 2012/12/4 Markus Lindholm <markus.lindholm at gmail.com>:
>> If there really is a need to bind address and POI together then create a
>> relation for that.
>
> -1, this would be breaking a fly on the wheel (or shooting with
> cannons on sparrows as we say in Germany). Really no need for
> relations here.

It may not be strictly necessary, but it is still an option to consider.

Representing addresses as a relation lets you express:
* ... multiple objects that have the same address
* ... objects that have multiple addresses
* ... a mixture of both.

This is not easily achieved with other representations. addr tags on
individual objects do not allow multiple addresses. Overlapping polygons
may work until you start thinking about features on different levels,
but are pretty awkward as they require multiple overlapping polygons -
or a multipolygon relation for each address, but then you are still
using relations, you've just changed the type.

I'm not sure which solution I personally prefer yet, but I wouldn't
dismiss relations entirely.

Tobias