[Tagging] Fwd: Door to door routing to buildings with multiple occupants

Markus Lindholm markus.lindholm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 15:34:07 GMT 2012

On 5 December 2012 14:23, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>wrote:

> feature
> >> +1, I agree with that, but isn't the logical consequence to tag them
> >> on polygons and not on nodes?
> > I don't see that. Polygons are more laborious to create than a node and
> > don't provide for a M-N relationships between addresses and POIs.
>

> So your conclusion is to map addresses as nodes because it is less
> work than a polygon (of which you might already have a preliminary
> version: the building outline), and than you suggest to create
> relations between this address-node and every POI with this address?

It all depends on the level of ambition. It should be easy and quick to do
the most basic mapping. Complex mapping should preferably use the artifacts
from basic level as building blocks. The following are perhaps the logical
steps in mapping addresses from simple to complex micro-mapping.

- One building - one address. The address can be placed directly on the
building polygon if one doesn't care to create a separate node inside the
building.
- As previous step but with knowledge about where the entrance is. Place a
node on the building outline with address and entrance tags
- Many addresses on the building, just add nodes
- Add POIs that you care about
- If you think it's important to bind a POI to an address then create a
relation for it.

Unique benefits with relations:
- Possible to handle M-N relationships
- Possible to convey what kind of relationship it is between POI and
address, if it is a entrance for customers or customers in wheelchair or
staff or deliveries or other.

/Markus